Blade Server design
- Overleg with the server team connectivity.
- Many blade servers enter de “enterprise switch” market with an integrated switch.
- Pass-through cabling or integrated switches.
- Significant impact on power – cooling – weight.
Connecting the blade to the network
- If you use the integrated blade switch, use a layer3 access layer.
- Avoid a double Layer 2 design:
- [Layer 2 on the access layer] connected to a [layer 2 domain within the bladeswitch].
- If you use passthrough, use a layer2 or layer3 access layer.
Scaling the Datacenter Architecture
Items to consider when choosing an access layer platform
- Stackable / Modular configuration
- Cabling design consideration
- Cooling requirements
- Power requirement
- Equipment Density
- Resiliency Support
- 10G / 40G uplink support