What is a vPC (virtual Port Channel)
- Nexus series Network Virtualisation Technology.
- “Lightweight” VSS – Combine ports, not switches.
- Links on different switches to appear as the same device.
- Downstream device can be anything supoprting 802.3ad (LACP).
- Commonly called Multi Chassis Etherchannel ( MEC ).
Multi Chassis Etherchannel
- Multi chassis etherchannel ( MEC / MC-LAG ) allows two switches to appear as a single switch.
- Technology used to form a virtual switch ( VSS / vPC ) are not standard.
- MEC Provides load balancing and High Availability ( HA ).
- 16-port Etherchannel possibilities.
- FEX: Top of Rack ( TOR ) concept with end of rack ( EOR ) benefits.
- Nexus 2000 series , seperate yet controlled from the parent switch.
- vPC on EOR switches feeds redundant FEXS for MEC capabilities.
- no STP, no L3 convergence – HA Ability of MEC.
- Aggregation switch is the brain, no local switching.